Precautions & Instructions for Collecting Your Samples To ensure the integrity of your samples and to ensure getting accurate test results please abide by the following precautions and instructions for sample collection:
Precautions & Instructions for Collecting Your Samples
- To ensure the integrity of your samples and to ensure getting accurate test results, please abide by the following precautions and instructions for sample collection:
- Hands and genitals must be washed with soap and water, urethral opening must then be disinfected with disinfecting solution and then it must be washed with water to remove any trace of the disinfectant. First drops of urine should be voided in the toilet and the rest should be placed in the sterilized cup provided by the lab. It is preferable that no antibiotic is taken 24 hours prior to submitting the sample. If the sample is provided from home, please ensure that it is delivered to the lab within 2 hours of voiding.
24 Hour Urine Collection:
Immediately on awaking from sleep, head to the bathroom, record the time and start collecting urine for the next 24 hours whilst keeping the urine refrigerated.
3 Day Urine:
- Please send first voided morning urine and then send each sample separately on the same day of voiding.
- Sample must be taken from a person who has been fasting for at least 12 hours.
Fasting Blood Sugar:
- Sample must be taken from a person who has been fasting between 6 – 8 hours.
2 Hours Post-prandial Sugar:
- Please start calculating two hours from the start of your meal & taking any medication if you need to, ensuring that your meal should be ingested within 10 minutes at most (and not eating again until you have submitted your blood sample). Please come 15 minutes early to the lab.
3 Day Sputum:
- Please collect the first morning sputum, after gargling with water several times and before eating. Saliva samples are not accepted. Samples should be delivered separately on the same day. You may want to use steam inhalation in the morning to facilitate sample collection.
- Intercourse and ejaculation should be avoided for 4 consecutive days before giving the sample. Preferably, the sample should be taken inside the laboratory in a clean and sterile container, with special care in voiding the first drop of semen in the container. Samples given to our representative at home must reach the laboratory within 20 minutes and tested immediately.
- By pre-appointment only and patient should refrain from sexual intercourse for 2 days prior to the test and should also avoid washing the vagina on the day of the test. It is also preferable to refrain from taking antibiotics for 48 hours prior to testing.
- The specimen should be placed in a sterile cup provided by the lab and sample must arrive at the lab within a maximum of 2 hours. Samples enclosed in baby diapers are not accepted and it is also preferable to refrain from taking antibiotics for 48 hours prior to testing.
Stool Test for Occult Blood:
- For 48 hours prior to the test, patient should refrain from ingesting any meat, horseradish, laxatives, arthritis medication or any medications containing aspirin, vitamin C, cortisone or iron.
- Patient needs to refrain from undergoing any form of endoscopy or catheterization procedures for 10 days prior to the test.
HIAA, VMA, Catecholamine & Hydroxy Prolene Tests:
- Collect 24 hours urine (as instructed above) in a special bottle provided by the lab. For 48 hours prior to the test, please refrain from ingesting or swallowing any tea, coffee, biscuits, vanilla, plum, avocado, pineapple, eggplant, tomatoes or bananas.
Asthma Medication (Theophyline):
- Medication should be taken regularly for at least 5 days and it is vital that no vomiting or diarrhea is experienced for 48 hours prior to the test. The sample is taken first thing in the morning before the morning dose of medication and the next sample is taken after 4 hours of taking the morning medical dose.
- Medication should be taken regularly for at least 5 days and it is vital that no vomiting or diarrhea is experienced for 48 hours prior to the test. The sample is taken first thing in the morning before the morning dose of medication and the next sample is taken after 4 – 6 hours of taking the morning medical dose.
Prostate Gland Secretions or Culture:
- By pre-appointment only and urine must be not be voided for a time before the test and it preferable that no antibiotic is taken within 48 hours prior to the test.
Please note the following:
- In case of any tests that require the patient to be fasting, water can be ingested at any time.
We provide a sample collection service, so we can collect samples from homes, offices or hospitals..
Working Hours: Daily from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.
The following terms apply in case of referrals:
- Tests are only done for the person whose name is on the referral sheet and it is imperative that the referral is made through the procedures agreed upon with the referring body and with the approved signature and stamp, and is addressed to the lab and is still valid.
- If the test required is not within the approved list of tests, then the patient must get an approval from the workplace for the price of the test or must pay in cash.
- In case of a request to have the tests done before the referral is done, the tests will be fully paid for and the referral must be submitted either within a week or before the end of the month (whichever is earlier).